This is list of the best performing, best value electric bikes for 2018 / 2019. For each category I list two models, the first recommendation is based on performance and the second is based on affordability. If you have your eye on an affordable electric bike, you’ll want to make sure that you get the most bang for your buck. Unless you plan on doing more manual pedaling than cruising, you’ll want a bike with a sufficient amount of power. Some bikes have lower watt motors, such as 250 to 300, while others offer more of a boost with 500 watts or more. Another factor for many consumers is whether the bike comes with certain features, such as lights, a water bottle cage, and a rear rack.
1. NAKTO Electric Bicycle Sporting Shimano 6 Speed
Several different versions of the NAKTO Electric Bicycle are available, including some specific models for women.
- Available in several styles
- High speed motor
- Removable Lithium battery
- Shorter range without pedal assist
- Can be tough to remove the rear wheel
This lithium-ion battery bike has a range of nearly 30 miles per charge.
- Nearly a 30 mile range
- Frame suitable for riders between 5’2 and 6’2
- Includes seven-speed Shimano gears
- Feels underpowered on steeper hills
- Subpar manual instructions
- Heavy when pedaling manually
The SwagCycle EB-5 Pro comes in at just under $500, making it an affordable choice for an e-bike.
- Arrives pre-assembled
- Fits most teens and adults
- Air-filled rubber tires
- Some competitors offer a longer range
- Tough to ride with no electronic assist
- Can be a bit heavy to carry when folded
If you’re looking for a bit of extra speed and power on the trails, consider the ANCHEER Power Plus Electric Mountain Bike.
- Carbon steel front fork
- Includes an LED headlamp
- Can combine e-bike and assisted modes
- Some competitors offer a higher maximum speed
- Not waterproof